Sunday 8 June 2014

Interview with Hopare Paris based Graffiti Artist.


Interview with Hopare Graffiti Artist.I met with Hopare & Nasty at the Source Wall.







Hong Kong has seen an influx of street artists over the last year with the latest 'happenings' involving ‘Hopare,' the pseudonym of the artist Alexandre Monteiro, born in France, and currently living in Paris. His work is a colourful mix of figurative and abstract and can be found in many prominent European cities. 

He is here to work in collaboration with ‘Nasty,’ aka Alexandre Hildebrand on the Sourcewall on Hollywood Road. An art installation in support of Médecins sans Frontières / Doctors without Borders,[www.facebook.com/source888and, to participate in “Urban Hacking” a major street art project with London’s Pure Evil and Hong Kong’s Marc Allante where they will reinterpret the definition of street art as part of the Le French May. 


    Hopare working on his wall at Soundwill Plaza 'Urban Hacking'.

The exhibition runs until June 29th at Soundwill Plaza 11.


    Nasty [Left] Hopare [Right]

When did you discover graffiti art?

“I discovered graffiti in the summer of 2003 in Limours in an abandoned warehouse.” It inspired me to start experimenting with letters and I did my first wall the following year.”!

Are you trained in Art? 

“Yes, I studied Design Space and I think the straight lines of the vanishing point has very much influenced my style.” 

Why Graffiti Art?

“I live, dream and think graffiti it's really a big part of my life. I love that I can spread my message and my emotions through my work. I am convinced that graffiti has not happened to me by chance.” 

Had you seen the Source wall before today? 

“I saw the wall for the first time yesterday.”



    Nasty with Dimitri of Avenue des Arts 

Do you plan what you are going to paint in advance?

“No, the work is not planned it’s instinctive.”

Have you worked with Nasty before?
“No, this is the 1st time we have worked together and it's very exciting. Nasty is the old generation, he's 39 he uses colour and old school lettering. I am only 23 and my work is about growing and faces so it's interesting to see our work combined.” Nasty has been very influential in graffiti art.” 

How long does a wall normally take?

“It can grow and grow, from the initial lines I can add faces and things around the faces.” !

How do you know when the work is finished?

"It's never finished!”



    Finished Wall

Tonight you are fully on view to the public you; are not hiding your face, your identity? Why is this, why do graffiti artists typically remain anonymous?


"Sometimes I hide my face for the newspapers, I don't want to be identified. It's about the painting, the work, not us, our face.”!

How do you think French artists currently stand within the world Street Art?

“Everything started in New York of course but eastern European countries have been producing the most innovative work in the past few years. Germany followed by Italy then Spain, their work has a really clean style. However, France is catching up quickly with a new movement, Graffuturism. It brings together artists working in both graffiti and graphic art in the street and studio, with Paris currently the place for creative growth and emerging artists. 









     All Photographs courtesy of Avenue des Arts http://www.avenuedesarts.org

   www.hopare.com 
   facebook.com Hopare 
   twitter.com / alexhopare 
   https://www.facebook.com/Nasty.paris.city
    www.avenuedesarts.org
   www.facebook.com/source888

No comments:

Post a Comment